Thursday, July 27, 2006

I'm in Love With a Cop

As a cops wife, there are so many times, all I can do to help Chris deal with a tragic call, is listen. (I can just hear him reading this and telling me, he doesn't need any help!) I think being a police dispatcher, and understanding on some level what he is going though day to day, is a really good thing. But sometimes I can do something to make my husband feel better. I have been with my husband for nine years and back when he was an active Marine and we were younger, (when we got married, he was 19, I was 21), I really sucked at being "there" for him. I wasn't mean, I was just a space cadet, wrapped up in my own little world, I guess, (Luckily I was a little hottie, so that hopefully made up for it a bit.) Now that he is a cop, I try to learn from how lame I was before, and do all I can to be there for him. He is not a big talker with most people, but he does tell me things. The best thing I can do for him is listen and not comment. Sometimes that is very hard for me; it is something I have to actively refrain from doing. That and also I have a touch of ADD so I have to concentrate and focus. That being said, when there are those rare times, I feel I can actively do something to help, I really want to do it. A recent example:

Danger is 11 months old and he and I had plans, just the two of us, for a gold old-fashioned road trip, to go visit the grandparents, south of us. Plans made waaaaaaay in advance. Days before we were set to leave, Chris' assisted on an fatal traffic accident. When he arrived the mom was running back and forth in traffic holding her dead baby, screaming for Chris and the other officer to save him. A baby that was just a couple of months older than Danger. I was surprised Chris shared this with me, and I did the only thing I could think of to put his mind at ease and sooth him, even if just a little. Danger and I took the train. I hope it helped.

9 comments:

HotRodHanna said...

You're a good woman. I swore I'd never date a cop or fireman. I would be worried sick all the time!

Listening, its what we do best! The hard part is trying not to FIX everything our family members talk to us about when we get home. Its hard for me to turn off that part of the 'job' when I walk out the door.

Cute little guy!

Anonymous said...

You're kid is really named Danger?

Hmm...

FroneAmy said...

Don't you hate that feeling of not being able to help them more? It's like, I know he just needs someone to listen, but I feel so powerless sometimes when he's had one of those days....I'm with ya on this one though! Hope you have fun on your trip
-Amy

Wadical said...

I was thinking the same thing as "anonymous". 'Tis unique. I'm curious how you arrived at that name. It's actually kind of cool, but I'm sure there's a story behind it...right?

Rebecca said...

Actually, Danger is his middle name....really. I am just don't want to put my baby's real name out there into the vastnes of cyperspace. What can I say, my job makes me a bit paranoid.

Anonymous said...

i'm also inlove with a cops, so i was just searching and then i found this... i feel you girl... this is why i haven 't marry him yet.. but gosh i'm so inlove with this man...

Anonymous said...

i love you so much Joe, loving you is killing me knowing you 're a cop i can loose you anytime out there in south LA. each and everyday i wait for you to come home safe and sound , lay next to me in peace ... and then when morning come ... my worst frighten moment is when u walk out of that door...

Top_O_Tx said...

I've lived with cops my entire life, mom, dad, sister, 3 uncles and granddad is a retired one. And it seems they were trying all my life to prepare me to date one. Nothing can do that. For some reason I worry more about W then when I was my ex-husband who is a active duty soldier.
I guess its because a soldier's date to be deployed is set, a police officers is every moment of everyday.
Not that I don't support our troops.
But if you love a cop, loving them with your whole heart, it just takes ALOT of patience lol.

Anonymous said...

I worry everyday my officer goes out in the field! It never changes, I want the feeling to go away but it doesn't. I feel bad asking for my needs to be filled because of what he risks in a night.