Thursday, March 01, 2007

What I Fear Most



I really don't worry so much about Chris being shot and killed. Yes, I realize it is a very real possibility but it's not what I fear. Chris was in combat in the Marine Corps, and part of me feels like since he got out of that situation physically unscathed, he can handle himself alright if "only" one or a few subjects shoot at him. Probably sounds weird, but it is how I rationalize it, I guess... What I fear is Chris being mowed down by a passing motorist. Here in CA that seems to be happening a lot lately, mostly by drunk drivers like what happened to Chris' friend, Officer Brett Clearman.

Why do I bring this up now? Chris came home this morning and said, "I came so close to becoming a ped spread last night, I quit my job. I really did....For 3 whole minutes, I was unemployed. We were taking an accident report and this sh-- wagon came flying by, lost control and came, literally, within one inch of smearing me across the road. I said, 'f--- this, they don't pay me enough, I quit', and I got in my patrol car. I just sat there. I was serious enough that [my partner] believed me. Then I got out and finished the accident report."

My brilliant reply was, "Ped spread? That's a new one for me. And what's a sh-- wagon?" Turns out he meant a sanitation truck. I just had no words to express how thankful I was he was OK...and still employed.

11 comments:

Tasha said...

I am the same way, I worry about my hubby being hit or run down by a stupid motorist! We were just talking last night about when people are getting pulled over that they start to go way over and then change their minds.

Brent said...

Unfortunately more of us die in traffic accidents than by gunshot. We just lost an officer to a traffic accident. Just love him, hold him, and support him. It's all you can do.

Wadical said...

Yep. It's not what you can control that'll get you (bad guys at gunpoint)...it' s what you can't (rubbernecking motorists)!

Rebekah said...

Whenever I am dispatching and an officer stops a car along the interstate, I yell at them, while the mic is unkeyed of course... "Get Off The I"

HollyB said...

It's reading posts like this that make me realise how lucky I am that my Dearly Beloved was off the streets by the time we met. He had 20+ years in by then and was a D.A. investigator.
Here in TX, our laws changed last year, for the better. Now, when an Officer has someone pulled over on the highway, any highway, other motorists must move over one lane OR slow their speed to 20 mph below the posted max. I haven't seen any statistics, yet, but it is supposed to make it safer for Officers. From law abiding drivers anyway, The drunks and speeders will still be a problem, of course, but at least the Ooh-Ahh squads won't be so much of a danger.
I hope your Dearly Beloved stays safe. God Bless you both.

Stacey said...

I tottaly know where he is coming from. A couple months ago I was helping backboard someone and this car came whipping by so close I could feel it brushing the side of my leg. I was ok until after the call when I realize that if they were an inch closer to me I would have been crushed between the two cars. They got pulled over and screamed at/ticketed/lectured/screamed at some more by a couple of cops.
It is a really scary feeling.
I know it is easier said than done but be suportive/pray for him/be supportive.

dickiebo said...

I think that the officers must at least try to approach vehicles from the passenger side. Not ALWAYS possible, I know, and still no guarantee, but .......... it's your life at stake!
I'm sure that when actually on the roadway, they try to keep, as far as possible, the vehicle between them and oncoming traffic.
Sorry if this is a bit like trying to teach Granny to suck eggs, but, just trying to be a bit helpful as I know that where they are, in these situations, is exactly where it is too dangerous for anybody to be!

Brina said...

Well, now that you know my story about Mike and his DUI crash, I totally feel your pain here. I really never wanted to find out the answer to "What would you do if you were working (together) and your husband got hurt?" Now that I know, it is HORRIBLE! I felt sick, angry, scared, and still had to work radio and train a trainee. And unless you are in law enforcement, you think the drunks try to avoid cops when they are HBD, not plow 'em down... Tell Chris to be safe.

Anonymous said...

Hello there. I just found your Blog and I wanted to tell you that I really enjoy it. I am a C.O. for a police department in Ga. The picutre that you have here of the officer involved accident happened in the county that I work in.

Eugene Fields, Jr. said...

I pray for you and your family. Many people don't realize that behind every uniform is a person and behind every person is a family, and every family worries about their loved ones that are out there protecting and serving. As law enforcement as a whole, we are truly a family, worldwide, and we need to pray for each other and each others family. Stay close to God! Even when back-up is not near, he's with us!

Brent said...

It totally is crazy that most police officers die as a result of traffic accidents. But I suppose when we spend 8 hours a day or longer on the streets the odds are against us.