Saturday, September 23, 2006

Can I go Home Now? My Brain is Full....

So I started at Close to Home PD yesterday (CPD) and I feel like I am going insane. Per dieming at Evil and Wonderful PD at the same time is very easy because the phones, codes, computers, pretty much everything besides the unit call signs are identical. Now at CPD the only thing the same as EPD/WPD is the Vesta phone system. Get this; the officers use 8 and 9 codes on the air, the computers take 5 and six codes to enter the call, but when the dispatcher says the call we use the penal codes...but no, wait sometimes we use 9 codes and the officers use penal codes...Huh????????????? It is so overwhelming. On top of feeling like I am listening to a foreign language, they use a beat system that is like liquid; it changes from hour to hour depending on how many officers are available. So for each call, even if you have worked there for years you, pick up a 5 page beat grid, look up the thomas guide # from the CAD screen, check the grid, then go to the line that has shows how many beats there are and scan across....blah blah blah blah, who cares. The point is: it is very time consuming and bizarre to me. Then there are the cool things. Every call's disposition is cleared with Y or N (report or no report.) That is awesome because you don't have to wade through a gazillion dispo choices. I love that officers here make their own call backs for RPs instead of calling me on the phone and having me call for them, which always leads to me tying up the air with, "caller needs to know....." questions. And fianlly my personal favorite so far; no constant tedious logging; what I mean is like prisoner milage and stuff, the officer says it on the air and my trainer said 10-4 but then she didn't type anything. I said, "Don't you have to log that?" She said, nope it is all recorded and I was like, SWEET! Now back to the negative, and sorry I am dumping so much, especially since I am really enjoying myself and am thankful for this opportunity, but if I can't vent to you guys, what is the point of this blog, right? Cool, alright, continuing on.... I am used to 10 codes, so it is really hard to listen to units doing common things and not understanding what they mean. It feels like they are talking gibberish (I can't even say what is you 20! ) So far the absolute hardest thing is all the different codes and the seemingly radomn/unrelated-ness of them. For example, if it is a burglary, why can't I say, "459" and then punch into the computer "459"? Nope I tell them it is a 933, knowing it is a 459 but put 581 into the computer. Isn't that crazy? And finally the all time WORST new thing about learning their "language": the keyboard is different! The keyboard! Just a few examples being, the enter key and the shift key are reversed, there are no scroll up/down keys and there is no delete key. It is so awkward. I mean it's kind of like a telling a baseball player that from now on he has to hit with his bat upside down---Sure if he is good, he can adapt but it will always feel wrong. It is really, really frustrating. I am really looking forward to knowing my shiznit again; I don't like the feeling of being lost and unconfident. What was cool was, within hours of starting, my trainer told a room full of people that I was, "ridiculously adept" and catching on really fast. Nice to get praise so soon, especially in front of cops. Well that is pretty much it for now. Next post I will tell you about my hilarious ride along. Goodnight!

PS: Amazing how one thing never changes, from agency to agency. I have gone from one end of the state of California to the other in my short illustrious dispatching career, and what was my first call? "I didn't call 911!" (Smile) Yup, I can do this.

8 comments:

Paradise Driver said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
HotRodHanna said...

Those 9 codes sound like a rediculous system. Why have a 9 code language to represent a penal code language? I love that "my brain is full". And what is up with the keyboards!? I have never heard of that before. Sounds like some pretty good perks though. Our officers are so baby'd we have to do everything for them, including all their phonecalls. Nothing is more annoying than having them pull up in front of a house for a past call, and ask us to call the RP and have them step out. Sure! We have nothing else to do! Get your butt out of the car and knock on the $&@#% door!

Rebecca said...

Wil, don't take it personally that I removed your comment, it was actually a really great one, but you hit a little too close to home when you guessed where I was! Even though you didn't get it spot on, I really want to protect my annonimity from the general public. Feel free to email me and I would be more than happy to tell you where I dispatch. Returning to my Bat Cave now.....

Rebekah said...

Wow, we have alot in common. Except our names are spelled different. I enjoyed reading your blog as I am a dispatcher too. I dispatch for a rurual county in Indiana. I've toured bigger city departments but I really like knowing alot of the people I dispatch for. And I absolutley love the 10 minutes of pure adrenalin when I dispatch Police/Fire/EMS to an accident or something major. To be in control of such an out of control situation.....what a rush!!

Paradise Driver said...

Not a problem about removing my comment. I understand your reasoning.

Keep up the great blog and I will e-mail you.

PJ said...

I hear the Dept. Homeland Security has issued an edict to all law enforcement nationwide to eliminate 110 codes and all the rest by the end of 2007 and go to plain language. Wouldn't that be terrific! Our fire dept. has already decided to eliminate 10 codes. That's a lot better.

Anonymous said...

We've already been told to use plain language. No more 10 codes..in theory anyways. There are still some 10 codes we use for stuff we do all the time (DL's and plates) and until they come up with a safe way to say someone has a warrant, I refuse to stop using the 10 code for it.

Rebecca said...

I am sorry if it hurts anyone's feeling when I remove a comment. I don't like to do it, but I have just 2 rules. 1)If someone guesses to close to where I dispatch I will delete it and 2)My blog is PG-13. I won't delete comments with cuss words and such, but this blog isn't the place for things of a sexual nature. I mean my mom reads this for goodness sake! Thank you for understanding!