Saturday, October 21, 2006

Mary, Ocean, Robert, Ocean, Nora


Ever since falling madly in love with Super Troopers some years back, I love to hear RPs read the letters in plates or VINs out phonetically. (Remember Farva? "Peanut, Eunich....") Anyway I had a humdinger of an RP yesterday and even though my trainer was listening in, I couldn't resist asking this guy to give me the letters on the vin of his stolen vehicle, like that, "You know, Sir, if you come to a "C" you say cat, stuff like that..." "Oh, ok" he replies, quickly, and I think it will be interesting but I wasn't prepared to have to mute him so he wouldn't hear me gufawing.

Here goes:

M.o.r.o.n Guy: OK, I lost the plate. So the Vin number is: Jump, Cathy---

Me: Wait is that with a "C" or a "K"?

MG: "C ." Then, Adult, Wiffle Ball,

Me: Do I count the "Ball?"

MG: No. Then there are some numbers. Then the letter----

Me: Hang on. Go ahead and give the numbers to me also.

MG: OK. Two, um that starts with "T" like Tom

Me: Um, no just the letters phonetically

MG: Oh, OK Tom, Waffle, Oscar,

Me: Wait stop. Are you giving me new letters or are you spelling out the number two ????

MG: But I thought I----

Me: Let me explain again how to do this......[I explain again]

MG: "Got it. [tells me the #s] G as in Garbanzo beans, P like, oh, man...

Me: Paul? And let me guess, don't count the beans...

MG: Wow, you are really good at that! Ok, P like Paul---

Me: Another P? Or the same P?

MG: Another one. T like....Tea, B, like Bee...

Me: I am gonna just stop you there because now we have way to many numbers/letters.

MG: Oh, OK, from the beginning J like Jaywalking-----

Me: Just stop. Here is what we are going to do. Just say the letter and I will ask you if I can't tell what it is.

----------

My trainer must have thought that I was the real moron!

And now here is the cherry on my ice cream o' fun:

Moron Guy: Wait there is one other thing. I got a warning notice in the mail that if I don't move the vehicle soon, it will be fined for 72 hour abatement.

Me: The stolen vehicle you are reporting?

Moron: Yeah, what should I do?

Me: Weeeeeellll since the vehicle has been stolen, that means technically it has been moved, so how about we just don't worry about that right now.

Moron: (Doubtfully) ...OK....

I said it before, and I'll say it again....I LOVE MY JOB.

7 comments:

Rebekah said...

ROTF LMAO....that is hysterical

PJ said...

HILARIOUS!!!

Had a guy the other day who decided he was going to sound like a cop and started spouting 10 codes to me. Of course he got it all screwed up, but I couldn't resist a "That's a big 10-04 Rubber Ducky", at the end of the call. I'll probably get called on the carpet for that, but it was worth it.

Brent said...

The public is so entertaining!! They should sell tickets.

Paradise Driver said...

In some areas that would be:

Mike
Oscar
Romeo
Oscar
November

You should hear how some of my fellow cabbies use the phonetic alphabet.

Great Story, as usual.

JL said...

Oh my gosh that was funny.

Ron said...

We had a dispatcher that spend one weekend a month dispatching as a 'weekend warrior'. It would take us a week to get him away from the military phonetics.

The one he would always use that screwed me up was 'Sierra' (pronounced Cee-air-a). I'd always stop and think ... Sierra, does that start with a C or an S? Then have to ask for a 10-9 since I got behind.

Oh, well

Unknown said...

This is hysterical! I am copying it off to a couple of my dispatcher buddies. They will love it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! You have a great one here, I'll be back!