Sunday, August 05, 2007

It's Off to the Races.....


It is that time again in the 5150 household. Time for us to once again put all our money on the three legged horse named "Gimpy." We are officially trying to create a sister for Little Man. To make a loooooooong story short, it's not easy for us. Last time involved years of waiting, praying and surgery. My main thoughts are: When will it happen? How will it happen? I don't mean that kind of "how"! When I say "how" I mean, I know that for us adoption is a very real option. I have to have another child, so if we can't make one, we are fine with adopting. Because of that possibiltiy I often lurk around the various adoption blogs. A recurring theme on all of these sites, are Home Studies. That is where they come into your home to evaluate if you are able to care for an adopted child. Uh oh. Do you have to do one of those? I can only imagine what ours would be like. Let's all imagine, shall we, that you can follow along via virtual tour as I meet with our social worker:


"Hi, sorry I am late, I just got off my usual 12 hour shift. Welcome to our home, yeah it is pretty cute, I think the term for it would be a "fixer upper." You'd never know that though from the size of the mortgage, or shall I say mortgages, plural. Sorry about the crappy neighborhood. I am pretty sure they are selling drugs across the street, too. Come on in. Oh, whoops, don't trip over Riley. Why yes she is a Pitt bull. And here's Gabby. Gabby, down. Down Gabby. Gabby, get down. Stop jumping on the nice lady! Oh, sorry about your dress...So here is our living room. No, no, that's not carpet, that's hardwood floors with about 3 inches of dog hair on it--I haven't had a chance to vacuum in weeks. Hmm? Oh, no that isn't a dog in the corner it's just a really big hair ball! We only have four large dogs. Are you choking? Can I get you a glass of water? No? That's probably for the best, I don't have any clean glasses anyway. Also we were sent a letter recently from the city, asking us not to drink the water. Something about high levels of arsenic. Yes, it is pretty normal for me to have about 2 weeks worth of dirty dishes in the sink. No, no don't open the oven! Oops, you caught me, I hid some more of the dirty dishes in there. How embarrassing. Now, over here somewhere under all these magazines and bags is a really nice kitchen table. Oh no, that's not an unusual pattern on the linoleum floor, those are muddy dog prints! Here is the den/storage/future second child's room. No, we didn't just move in, we've been here two years, I just haven't got around to unpacking, yet. Sorry about the bills scattered all over the desk here. I am trying to pay off some really big loans. Our credit is pretty crappy but we're working on it, (nervous laughter). We may be poor, but what we lack in money, we make up for with our rich personalities! Ha, ha, ha, ahem. You'd like to know where my husband is? Oh he couldn't make it, he is at the hospital. He got in a fight with an armed suspect who pulled a gun on him and a fight ensued. He's getting stitches. The suspect, not my husband, silly! That husband of mine, always getting into these madcap adventures, gun fights and high speed pursuits! (Awkward silence). OK, um, moving right along, this is the bathroom. Oh, that? Yes the paint is peeling off the wall. I realize it's only one foot off the floor, and yes it is lead based, but don't worry I wouldn't let the kid lick the walls! Ha Ha Ha. Is it it warm in here, or is it just me. What am I thinking our Air Conditioner's broken, of course it's me! Who could forget the 100 degree summer were having! Um, yeah, so down here at the end of the hall is our room. Oh, that? That is the gun cabinet, we keep meaning to fix the lock on that. Oh my gosh, Xena! I'm sure this nice lady doesn't want that icky dead mouse! She's always bringing us 'presents'. Where are you going? What do you mean you have to leave? Ma'am come back! You forgot your purse...Sigh"

Yeah, I'm sure our prospects will be lining up around the block.

6 comments:

Ron said...

Gimpy? ... Gimpy? ... Some of your loyal readers may take offense to that label!

Not me, mind you, but someone. HaHaHa ... had ya going there for a second, huh?

Good luck, from one gimpy to another (I don't mind people knowing I am gimpy)

Anonymous said...

Just thought your readers should know that you are REALLY using poetic license on this blog! Not about the 4 big dogs (but I digress) but about almost everything else ;-) You don't live in that much chaos - you DO live in that much good humor. If it came to adoption - your home would be the best a child could hope for! Mom

Rebecca said...

Aw shucks Mom! But I think you are a bit biased...

Wadical said...

You looking for another kid? I got a two for one sale going on right now!

Just kidding! You'd have to pay for both.....Naw, really I'm kidding. I wouldn't take a million dollars for my kids....but I wouldn't give you two bucks for another! <--- (of that, I'm serious)

Good luck with your endeavor, though I doubt you'll need it. I agree with Mom. Your humor is evidence that you're quite grounded. Normal folks...that's the type they want to adopt kids out to. (I breathed a sigh of relief when I read about the dishes. Glad we're not the only ones.) A friend of mine just went through that "home study". They're normal folks too and they scored a "trifecta"....three youngins! So don't sweat it. You'll do fine.

God provides. You believe.

Anonymous said...

Hey loved the laundry room story...yeah and just to let ya know... you aren't alone when it comes to crazy calls....I spoke to a caller for almost 45 min...all for her to report a dog digging a hole in its yard???
OOOOOOK......Enjoyed the blog!!
Psycho Kitty..................

Anonymous said...

Rebeca,
That's all nice. Assuming "we server and protect" motto is true, what should I do if a police woman who won $2 mil discrimination suit ia calling 5150 (in spite that I begged for a half an hour to get paramedics) and as a result of her action I am on unpaid administrative leave for unspecified reasons and time. Any suggestions? Please don't come with "a bad apple" thing.