Monday, August 06, 2007

I Should Have Kept My Mouth Shut...

Last time I worked, I was bored. Soooooo incredibly bored. In two 12 hour day shifts, I got maybe one interesting call and a handful of 1186s (traffic stops.) Back me up, Ron, you were there. I was so bored, I was flagging down the records people and asking them if I could help them with paperwork. There were no cites to be entered, no entries to be made, no phones to answer, and records told me they didn't need any help. I always feel like such a slug when I open up a magazine or book on day shift. Especially when the chief of police, or my boss comes by. On my way out the door last week, I told an officer, that I'd be on his shift on Monday, and could he please be more entertaining. Boy, I should have kept my mouth shut. Within the first hour we had a pursuit that left the city, 911 calls off the hook and an in custody. My black cloud followed onto day shift and they had a felony hit and run occur at the same time as some bank robbers took the commuter train into our city. Tonight we had all the 911 lines ringing at once for a vehicle vs. motorcycle. And as my favorite SGT always says, "There is no such thing as a minor injury motorcycle accident." Shoot howdy we are having fun tonight. And the hits keep on coming. Talk more later!

5 comments:

Wadical said...

It's as if you said the "Q" word without actually saying the "Q" word. 'Tis forbidden to even dance around the subject in our radio room. It's like praying for a rain shower and getting a hurricane. If you even hint at it, the evil 9-1-1 fairy will begin to drop emergencies in your lap with unbridled abandon until you are thoroughly gift-wrapped and then stick a bow on your butt. When it's ("Q" word) in my town...no one complains! Those times are becoming increasingly rare, these days.

Anonymous said...

Thats it. I arrested 8 just last night. We responded to 5 to 8 T/C's a fatal collision, welfare check with a dead body, numerous traffic stops, beer run, 2 veh. burglarys that i responded to...and that was just in my beat in 12 hrs.

I still however couldn't do your job. You are more than appreciated.

Rebekah said...

I can say 'quiet' all day long and it does nothing for me. Why? because I actually want something to happen. I looove those busy days. We used to high five everyone after we completed details. I miss those days... I know I am a sick person. but you have to be a little sick to do this job.
Good luck with the baby news

Ron said...

Becca,
I had a few slow nights when covering for the dip-spatchers (did I spell that right?) ... but they had very few when I was on duty. The year I got 'officer of the year' for our entire county (of all PDs in the county, including the SO), I wrote more child restraint citations myself than both my campus and city PDs combined. You don't do that without plenty of radio traffic.

There were several nights that I sould call out "29's clear traffic ... back out on traffic at X & Y with a (veh description)". I was a lazy dispatcher's worse nightmare!

Wicked 911 said...

It happens..."Has it been busy today?" Oh man! They just messed it up!